Monday, October 4, 2010

Small Towns and Public Transportation

My county has a bus, public transportation, I've never had the need to go on it, until recently. In my recent rant and vent yesterday about things I needed (I do feel better by the way) I mentioned a parent/teacher conference, it is this coming Thursday. So for practice I decided to figure out the bus/mass transit system of my county, then maybe go for a short ride today, to get out of the house, and figure the system out.

It's impossible. I went on their website, I figured out their fares, but apparently they require a purchase of some sort of ticket, but all of the places to purchase such a ticket, it seems like are so far away from me. I know the bus USED to come down my road, I'm not sure if it still does, I haven't seen it in a while, and I couldn't locate my tiny town on any sort of routes/schedules. My tiny town manages to have a tiny Post Office, and a tiny Library, why can't we have a bus stop, that's clearly labeled on their website? Other than those two things there is literally nothing in this town, except houses and shacks and boats. It's a fishing type town, we have tons of bait shops and places to go fishing, but no bus stops. The local tourist attraction, or local hangout is the dollar general that just opened up down the road. So basically from my amateur eyes, it looks like I need to hitch a ride with someone to Edgewater, probably around the vicinity of a Publix Supermarket, which happens to be two blocks from Stephens school anyways. From Publix I will probably need to ride the bus all the way down to New Smyrna Beach, getting off at the NSB public library, go inside, purchase some sort of a ticket, get back on the bus and be free to ride around wherever I need to go? or hitch a ride to New Smryna Beach, then get on the bus and head back this way to Edgewater so that I can get off at Publix and go to Stephens school? I don't know. I might have better luck with a thumb and a stranger. I'm probably over-thinking it, if I can figure out how to get into a toy that is kidproofed with knobs and screws and secret codes to open, i'm sure I can figure out mass transit.

One spookier news, I've been on a netflix kick lately, we discovered how to watch instant streams on our Wii. So we set up the Wii in the bedroom, I know I could probably use the 14 dollars a month on better things, like a book, or a haircut, but for a while there my husband would watch TV on the wii, and leave me alone to let me read a book, or at night we'll lay down and watch our usual shows, he's trying to turn me into a Trekkie. We've been watching Star Trek: Voyager. Just finished watching Battlestar Galatica. It's our time spent together, quietly watching tv. We don't have cable. Anyways, so I discovered the joy of laundry folding and TV watching at the same time, and explored the Instant Stream. I'm on a documentary kick (see blog from earlier in the week about "The Cove")

I totally am freaking myself out with things. I've watched everything from National Geographic: Hauntings to 2012: The End of the World. December 21st 2012, (I think that was the date..or December 26th? or 22nd? I don't even remember) we're all going to DIE! oh my gawd! *sigh* If all those fancy scientists on the television are to be trusted, we're going to die in two years. Great. I need to come up with a list of things to do before I die, and do them. I'm going to go sky diving, and scuba diving, and I want to rob a bank (just kidding) and go run down the road naked. Of course I'll probably have to put "Figure out Public Transportation" at the top of the list, otherwise I won't be able to travel to do all those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment