Wednesday, October 20, 2010

It's that time..a new milestone for me.

Stephen has reached his newest milestone. I am incredibly at loss for emotions right now, well scratch that, I have an incredible overload of emotions, that I can't definitely pick out one single emotion. Part of me wants to cry, the other part of me wants to dance around, the other part of me is kind of shellshocked that today as come finally.

It's report card day. My baby boy has completed his very first 9 weeks, and has received his very first report card, his very first official one. Complete with all the checks and pluses. and I can't figure out weather I should be celebrating or crying because it's a huge milestone.

In the name of saving money and tree's, the school no longer provides report cards, you have to get online to a "parent portal" and print it. It's sad because I have memories and momentos my teachers of old and principals always included a handwritten note to my mom, and my mom had the opportunity to write back to the teacher. I like the parent portal, because as he gets older, I can keep track of how he is as far as testing and attendance. It keeps track of everything from being tardy to behavioral issues. He won't be able to hide anything from me.

He did good, he's on level. There's a lot more checks than I'd like, but there's no zeros or I's. Plus signs mean that he demonstrates skills and concepts consistently..checks mean that he's still learning/developing those skills and concepts..zeros mean it's an area of concern, and I means it's in progress towards grade level proficiency in skills and concepts. While there's a lot more checks than I'd like, I am SO proud of my baby for trying so hard, his teacher says he's "on level" even though he's still behind more than she'd like for him to be.

I want to get out my first kindergarten report card and compare.

So.. I don't know if anyone actually reads my blogs, I hope so, but even if not, I enjoy writing them, and it's a good way to destress my life and put things in perspective. But if you are out there and do read them..I need opinions on how to do a reward system. I have no idea what the going rate on rewards for report cards are these days. Do I wait until the last 9 weeks and if he gets promoted to the 1st grade, reward him then? Do I wait until he's out of the checks and plus phases and goes on to the ABCDF phase? or each report card do I offer a reward? and how does one reward a bunch of checks and pluses? I have zero money to do anything exciting, but I feel like I should reward him somehow for his efforts. any opinions on the matter is appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment