Thursday, October 14, 2010

Houseduty avoidance

What we have going on right now, is clearly a classic case of houseduty avoidance. My typical daily affliction. I'm not saying my house is a pigsty, but it seems to take my a while to get motivated to get my butt in gear. Typical excuses tend to be 1) I gotta kill some things in Mafia Wars on facebook..so I can level up, for the good of my mafia 2) then after that I gotta go plant some crops and cut down some trees in frontierville..so I don't get too far behind and my frontier doesn't look like a jungle in a week 3) I gotta remind my friends who I am, so I simply must comment on their status's and make my own, and post wall posts 4) and finally, I simply must update my own blog...and while I'm at it, I'll read some blogs that I follow.

The problem with that..once I get started on something, I tend to expand..let's take blogging. Once I've posted, and read all of my usual blogs that I follow, I usually see something superinteresting, or they mention someone THEY follow, of course I have to check that out. So my short and sweet list of blogs I follow has grown into a bigger list. And to keep updated on all of it, thats pretty time consuming. I started thinking this morning, I'm a facebook addict, I know this, I'm aware of this, and now I'm a blog addict..however..it finally occurred to me this morning that what I was doing, by doing all of this, was a classic case of avoidance.

My husband lost his ring, his wedding ring..so, my goal of today is to tear the house up to find it. Then run it down to the jewelry store when he gets home, to get it resized so the stupid thing quits falling off. It's 11am, and I've been up since 4, and the only thing i've done is play mafia wars, play frontierville, post on some peoples statuses, and read some peoples blogs, and here I am writing my own blog. OH! I did dump a bunch of clean clothes on the bed (that I had just made..yeah mom..I make my bed daily..don't die of heartfailure now) so I could settle down and fold them later! go me with my bad self.

Speaking of laundry, I came across a cute quote today "if the money added up as quickly as the loads of dirty laundry do... I'd never have to worry about how I'm gonna pay my bills again!" SO true. I'd be a billionaire. I hate laundry, and I hate having the satisfaction of being totally done with laundry, only to realize that I forgot to get the dirty clothes from stephens bedroom, or somewhere, or maybe the dog rolled around in the dirt and now my comforter is all dirty. and so back to the laundry I go. Stupid vicious never ending cycle. Life would be so much easier if we could all walk around naked.

So..on that note..here's my happiness for today.


I do love Florida. I'm a true Florida girl at heart. If we ever decided to move away from Florida, I'd have to vacation here at least once a year, so I can dig my toes into the sand and watch the waves on the beach. I was born and raised here, and aside from a brief move to New Jersey..it's the only place I've ever really lived. It's beautiful. We do have our downside of course..crazy old drivers, hurricanes, mosquitoes, and tourists. but for the most part, you can almost be guaranteed a beautiful view SOMEWHERE. even if you are driving along US1 and happen to look up at the clouds, puffy and white, or pink with the sunset. The ocean is beautiful, even when it's rough and mad and vengeful. Florida is flat, with no hills, mountains or changing weather. But its one of the few places that you can put on a bikini and go swimming in December. We are almost fanatical about our college football (GO UF GATORS!) and some Floridians have never witnessed snowfall. It's a beautiful place to live, but a horrible place to retire..so remember that if you decide to purchase a house down here. and forgodsakes people, don't drive after you are a certain age!

You might be a Floridian if...

(my own comments in italics)


  • "Down South" means Key West.
  • "Panhandling" means going to Pensacola.
  • You think no-one over 70 should be allowed to drive.
    And no-one should be allowed to drive under 70 miles an hour.
  • Flip-flops are everyday wear.
  • Shoes are for business meetings and church.
  • No, wait, flip flops are good for church too.
  • Socks are only for bowling.
  • Orange juice from concentrate makes you vomit.
  • Tap water makes you vomit.
  • Sweet tea can be served at any meal.
  • An alligator once walked through your neighborhood.
  • You smirk when a game show's "Grand Prize" is a trip to Florida.
  • You measure distance in minutes.
    And no matter where you want to go, it's half an hour away.
  • You have a drawer full of bathing suits, and one sweatshirt. Gotta love my UF sweatshirt.
  • You get annoyed at the tourists who feed seagulls.
  • You never use an umbrella because you know the rain will be over in five minutes anyway.
  • All the local festivals are named after a fruit. I loooove the Strawberry Festival
  • A mountain is any hill 100 feet above sea level.
  • A good parking place has nothing to do with distance from the store, but everything to do with shade.
  • Your winter coat is made of denim. Actually, I have a UF jacket, or two.
  • You can tell the difference between fire ant bites and mosquito bites.
    Duh! Who can't?!
  • You're younger than thirty but some of your friends are over 65.
  • You know the four seasons really are: almost summer, summer, not summer but really hot, and Christmas.
  • It's not "pop." It's "soda" or "coke."
  • Anything under 70 is chilly.
  • You've hosted a hurricane party.
  • You go to a theme park for an afternoon, and know when to get on the best rides.
  • You pass on the right and honk at the elderly.
  • You understand the futility of exterminating cockroaches. It's a dead-end battle, don't waste your time..same goes for fleas.
  • You can pronounce Okeechobee, Kissimmee, Withlacoochee, Okahumpka and Loxahatchee.
    Not to mention Thonotosassa, Ichetucknee and Wewahitchka -- and you know:
    • Which one is strictly for tourists.
    • Which one is best in hot weather.
    • Which one means 'two big eyes looking up at the sky'.
    • Which one is a rest stop.
  • You understand why it's better to have a friend with a boat than have a boat yourself.
  • You've driven through Yeehaw Junction.
  • Bumper stickers on the pickup in front of you include various fish, the NRA and a confederate flag. Don't forget the college football decal! geesh.
  • You were 8 before you realized they made houses without pools.
    Not true. I've never lived in a house with a pool. Why have your own pool when the neighbors have one? or get a blowup pool! kiddie pools! or why have a pool when you've got the beach?
  • You were 12 when you first met someone who couldn't swim.
    Do I even *know* anyone who can't swim?
  • You've worn shorts and used the A/C on Christmas.
  • You know what the "stingray shuffle" is and why it's important!.
  • You could swim before you could read. haha so true.
  • You have to drive north to get to The South.
  • You know that no other grocery store can compare to Publix. You have no idea what you are missing if you don't have a Publix near you.
  • Every other house had blue roofs in 2004-2005
  • You’ve gotten out of school early on Halloween to trick or treat before it got dark.
  • You know that anything under a Category 3 just isn't worth waking up for. regardless, its a great chance to grill!
  • You dread lovebug season. it's lovebug season now..blasted things are everywhere!
  • You are on a first name basis with the Hurricane list. They aren't Hurricane Charley, Hurricane Frances...but Charley, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne.
    And Andrew..back in the day.
  • You know what a snowbird is and you hate them. Hate is a strong word..unless they are old as dirt and can't drive worth a darned. plus my mom is a snowbird now!- sorta.
  • You know why flamingos are pink.
  • You think a six-foot alligator is actually pretty average.
    And no local festival is complete without a Seminole Indian wrestling a gator.
  • You were twelve before you ever saw snow, or you still haven't. Actually I was 22:)


No comments:

Post a Comment