Saturday, December 18, 2010

How to stop feeling guilty?

Everyone is going through tough times right now. And the amount of people who are seeking help from strangers is growing. I myself personally HATE to ask anyone for help, but when I sat down and thought about it, and wondered just how on EARTH I was going to be able to give Stephen a nice Christmas, plus my two stepchildren? I started asking for help. Some people feel like sometimes I put too much out there, on here, on facebook, in person.. I talk about how we're struggling. I reached out for help this season, and I'm proud to say that we're going to have a nice Christmas. It's all worked out. Stephen has gotten a christmas gift from two facebook friends, and an angel tree, and my neighbor. There are presents that are slowly but surely showing up under the tree, and Santa has a few more to bring us.

My neighbor was there the morning after the accident, she brought me to the wrecker to view my car, and has come over several times to see how we're doing. She brought us some beef stew one night, and lent me some laundry detergent the next. She was there listening to me freak out on the way to the wrecker about everything from rent to the job situation. And apparently she added my name to a list. She is a member of some Dolphin Club in new smyrna beach (fitting considering I LOOOOVE dolphins!) and they sponsor several families to bring food to for thanksgiving and christmas. she added my name to the list of families, she told me about it, but I wasn't expecting anything because they already reached their quota. this morning they showed up with two boxes of food, a turkey, milk, eggs, butter, all kinds of canned goods, various stuff that would make a really good christmas dinner. and a package of instant sugar cookies to bake. they also brought three presents wrapped for stephen which went under the tree, i have no idea what they are..stephen saw them otherwise santa woulda brought them.

on the 24th, we're going to the police department I had submitted stephens name for toys and groceries to the police department, they might have something for us there too..

and though things are shaping up to a really good christmas, I can't help but feel guilty, that i had asked for help, when so many more people out there have it way worse than we do..who are living in tents, or have no power, or no vehicle or no christmas tree or one present under a twig. we have a lot of stuff in this house, things that we've accumulated over the years, and that family has given to us. appearances show that we've got a lot of nice stuff, but our food cabinets are bare. our bank is empty, and bills are stacking up.. but we still have stuff..a lot of people don't have anything. ive tried selling stuff or pawning, but people just aren't buying and pawn shops are overloaded with things. I'm trying to stop feeling guilty, cause we do need the help, we weren't going to have christmas dinner until they brought stuff over. I'm trying to be thankful for everything that everyone has done for me, not just recently but ever, in my lifetime. there are just SO many people out there who need help, I swear, when we get back on our feet, next christmas my plan is to donate, I want to sponsor one family and feed them dinner, and supply some presents..I really do. hopefully we will be back on our feet. im hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment